General Finishes Stain Blocking Primer
Stain Blocker is GF's NEW water based white primer. GFSB can be used to protect pigmented finishes from stain, dye and wood tannin bleed-through. Use over an existing finish, raw wood, or MDF as a base coat for GF Milk Paints, Chalk Style Paints, & Pigmented Polys. To maximize GFSB's effectiveness, General Finishes' chemists formulated this product with the highest quality ingredients. Use ONLY for those pieces where you will really care if there is bleed through. GFSB will work every time, not some of the time.
WARNING: DO NOT MIX with any paint, stain or topcoat. Contamination from other finishes will cause product failure. Rinse all brushes/equipment with clean water. Do not use General Finishes Brush & Gun Cleaner.
Existing Finishes (stain, lacquer, paint): Clean and remove grime, grease or loose paint. Wash down extremely dirty surfaces with a mix of 50/50 denatured alcohol and water or a sulfate-free commercial cleaner. Remove any heavy buildup with a synthetic wool pad. Allow surface to dry completely. Prep sand the surface with 220 grit sand paper and remove dust.
Raw Wood: Sand with wood grain. Prep sand with #120 then #220 grit paper. Remove dust.
APPLICATION: Stir thoroughly. It is essential to apply 2 coats. The first coat will absorb contaminents in the wood, causing a color change during the first application, and the second will seal them.
- Brush or Roller: Apply a uniform coat with a high quality synthetic blend brush or short nap roller.
- Spray: Product is ready to spray from container and does not require thinning. Strain material through fine mesh filter. Spray medium to wet film 3-5 mil thick. Heavier coats will take longer to dry & cure. Spray with compressed air, HVLP, or Air Assisted Airless. Fluid tip sizes: Compressed Air- .040, HVLP -.043-.061 (1.1mm-1.5mm), AAA -.009-.013. Use medium size air caps.
FINISH SANDING: Sand between coats of primer with #220 - #320 grit paper or extra fine sanding pad. Remove dust before re-coating.
DRY TIME: Tack free 10-15 minutes. Ready to sand in 1-2 hours.
- Existing Finish: Recoat in 3-5 hours.
- Raw wood: Recoat in 2-3 hours.
- Note: Dry times are based on ideal conditions: (70*F or 21*C, 70% humidity). Cooler temperatures and higher humidity will prolong dry time up to 4-6 hours.
CLEAN UP: Warm, soapy water.
COVERAGE: 600 Ft./gallon 14.76 m/liter
STORAGE: Store between of 33 and 105 F, or between .55C and 40.55C.